Feature photo by The Snells
Once upon a registry, two hearts became one, and the adventure of a lifetime was set to begin. Now that the whirlwind of wedding planning is behind you, it’s time to embark on your honeymoon! Honeymoons are a treasured tradition, allowing time for couples to relax, bond, and soak up their new marriage status. So beyond the obvious considerations — like location and duration — we’ve compiled a guide with essential travel suggestions. Transition from aisle to isles and make your honeymoon one for the ages!
GET LOGISTICS TOGETHER
First things first, make sure you’re able to travel! Consider the logistics of your trip, like transportation to and from the destination, as well as any necessary visas or vaccinations.
While these logistics might not be the most thrilling aspects of honeymoon planning, addressing them early can significantly contribute to a hassle-free and enjoyable trip. Take care of the basics first, then enjoy creating unforgettable moments with your new spouse. Here are some practical things to consider:
- Travel Documents: Ensure you have all the necessary travel documents, including passports and visas. Check the expiration dates well in advance and renew if necessary.
- Flight Details: Double-check your flight details, including departure and arrival times, layovers and potential delays. Make copies of your tickets and keep them in a safe place.
- Transportation: Besides getting to your destination, plan transportation once on the ground. Consider how to get from the airport to your accommodation and how you will get around the duration of your trip. Research transportation options, such as rental cars, airport shuttles or public transportation, and book in advance if needed.
- Currency and Banking: Inform your bank about your travel dates and destination to avoid any issues with credit/ debit card transactions. Familiarize yourself with the local currency and exchange rates.
- Electronics and Adapters: Check the voltage requirements of your destination and bring the appropriate power adapters for your electronic devices. Ensure your chargers are compatible with the local outlets.
- Pet Care: If you have pets, plan for their own (perhaps less exciting) getaway! Their care might involve hiring a pet sitter, boarding them or asking a friend or family member for assistance. Depending on the time of year, pet boarding facilities can book up quickly, so don’t delay!
TIP: If you or your partner are changing your last name upon marriage, plan accordingly. Either hold off on making the legal name change until after your honeymoon or don’t book your honeymoon travel details until your name is solidified. The name change process can take a while, and travel goes so much smoother when the name on your boarding pass matches your passport and banking info!
When it comes to packing, hope for the best, but plan for the worst. From hurricanes to ice storms, weather can be unpredictable (as much as we cross our fingers and toes for smooth sailing). Check the weather forecast for your destination and pack accordingly. Don’t forget essentials like sunscreen, raincoats, weather-friendly footwear or umbrellas. Even if the forecast doesn’t call for rain, it’s never a bad idea to at least pack a poncho.
Additionally, take health precautions into account. On top of your basic first aid kit and necessary medications, be sure to research additional health concerns, like water treatment practices or environmental allergens, and pack treatments accordingly.
From antacids and aloe vera to raincoats and a sun hat — the time on your honeymoon is precious and you won’t want a day wasted because you didn’t pack the right tools.
BALANCE ADVENTURE AND RELAXATION
You’ve just started this exciting new chapter and you might be in the mood to keep introducing new things into your life. And by all means so! Your honeymoon is a great time to try out new activities (surfing, skiing, hiking, oh my!), but don’t overdo it. Plan for activities and excursions but also downtime and relaxation together. Packing your days full of adventure will make the time pass so quickly — you’ll be back on the plane in a blink! Enjoy the thrill of new experiences and balance out that euphoria with the sweet serenity of marital bliss.
TAKE PERSONAL TIME
Yes, you’re excited to start your forever together but don’t feel like you’re obliged to spend every waking second together. Everyone needs some “me time”! Part of a healthy relationship is balance. For instance, if your partner wants to go zip-lining through a rainforest but you’re scared of heights — you don’t need to join them! Let each other enjoy everything your honeymoon destination has to offer, even if that means going solo. Just make sure you’re both on the same page when it comes to making separate plans.
DISCONNECT FOR QUALITY TIME
Phones down! Live in the moment and plan for periods without technology. Go in the hot tub, do sunrise yoga or take a local cuisine cooking class. Smartphones are great for research, translation and photo-taking, but don’t let them control your trip.
That being said — consider mobile phone roaming charges! Communicate travel details with your cell phone provider or purchase a local SIM card or international phone plan to avoid excessive charges.
START SPREADING THE NEWS
Don’t be shy — share the news that this is your honeymoon! You’d be surprised how many upgrades or special gifts you’ll receive once word gets around that this is a special trip. From flight check-in (hello seat upgrades) to tagging your resort on social media posts, drop the H-word and see what happens. Certainly don’t expect special treatment, but also don’t shy away from letting folks know. People love celebrating romance, so let them! You never know what exciting bonuses could come your way.
Considering all these factors, you’ll be well on your way to creating a honeymoon that sets the tone for a lifetime of beautiful memories together. Cheers to the beginning of your happily ever after!